At Precious Lamb (PL), we create systemic and social change by interrupting the cycle of homelessness and building a foundation for young children to love learning that will last a lifetime.
Our goal is to help children be school-ready by emphasizing academic, social and emotional development and addressing trauma. Children receive high-quality, full-day, year-round preschool education, while parents pursue employment, education, counseling, and/or housing.
Our uniquely low 1:4 ratio ensures small class size and an intimate, trauma-informed learning environment in designated Toddler, Preschool, and Pre-Kindergarten classrooms serving 35-40 kids.
Every student is considered at risk: under the poverty line and living in some form of transitional housing. All children are referred to us from a partnering local shelter or program. Due to the very special needs that children in crisis have, we strive to provide a quality and personalized program with a 1:4 teacher to child ratio. In order to keep our ratio low and provide children with the personal attention they need, we keep our classrooms small. This means there is always a waiting list for enrollment.
Each day, every child receives a freshly prepared breakfast, lunch, and snack, prepared by our own on-site cook. Students also receive daily naps, potty training, and regular field trips and activities like music, dance, gardening, and sports.
Precious Lamb Preschool was founded. We began serving students in January 2002.
Children ages 18 months-5 years old experiencing homelessness have received full time, free preschool.
of every dollar donated is spent directly on programs.
Our uniquely low 1:4 ratio ensures small class size and an intimate, trauma-informed learning environment in designated classrooms.
- Our focus is to provide tuition-free, high quality, early education for children 18 months-5 years old and their families who are experiencing homelessness. We encourage a nurturing, whole-family approach and provide a trauma-informed environment.
- Our teaching and support staff is trained in spotting signs of trauma, the nuanced curriculum children facing trauma require, and resources available for parents. Studies show children living in transitional situations will most likely experience trauma and have triple the numbers of emotional and behavioral problems.
- We are a faith-based Christian preschool, teaching biblical foundations, but people of all faiths are accepted to attend. 67% of students with educational developmental delays show major improvement. 80% of students with social-emotional developmental delays show major improvement. 90% of our preschool graduates demonstrate kindergarten readiness
- All of our children live in homeless shelters, domestic violence programs, crisis pregnancy programs, treatment programs and sober livings. Precious Lamb seeks to provide quality education and holistic care so their parent(s) can focus on their mental health, sobriety, education, permanent housing.
- We partner with 20 local shelters, programs, and drug/alcohol treatment centers to refer eligible families into our programs. Parents receiving treatment for abuse, counseling, schooling or job training that has the opportunity to improve their families’ lives may enroll their children into Precious Lamb- FULL TIME. Absolutely NO COST. Our school is designed to allow the parent to attend the programs they need to during the day while their child is cared for.
- We partner and collaborate with many entities throughout the city, including the Multi-Service Center, the Guidance Center, ChildNet, LBUSD, CSULB, other preschools for at-risk students, churches and private schools and many more to promote Continuum of Care with a far reaching scope.